Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Tea Cup/Food Stockpile

This is kind of a funny observation that I was discussing with my roommate Chris yesterday. My tea cup (it actually says "tea" on its side) lies. This is no profound abstraction of what we drink and put into our bodies. It lies because I always have espresso in my tea cup. When you think about it, this goes against the whole "I'm a tea drinker" versus "I'm a coffee drinker" - two entirely different animals. I guess I'm bridging the gap between the two cultures.

So, food stockpile you ask? I went to the grocery store yesterday and probably spent more money than I should have (I now have $11.61 on my debit card). You know what I've realized? You can't stockpile food in a dorm! I tried to buy enough to get me through the week, and I'm sure I accomplished that. However, I noticed that immediately after buying my groceries, I was hungry. But I didn't want to eat what I just bought. I mean, I JUST purchased these and they have to last me longer than four days (for the record, I eat too much). It was like I interpreted my food as an investment, and by not giving it time to appreciate, I was losing money. I'm not worried about not having enough food (I've done well so far this year), I just felt weird about the whole thing.

Another little side note, most of us here at Belmont have experienced the Inverse-Freshman 15. I've lost five pounds so far, since being at school. I'm sure some would kill for this, but I find it disheartening. I worked hard to gain that weight! Others I have talked to have lost more and have been here for at least two years. Once people move off campus though, that weight seems to find them again.

I can probably relate my lack of weight gain to the fact that I don't eat "snack" food. Yesterday, I had my second slice of pizza so far this semester.

By the way, I forgot to mention that my birthday was last Monday. It was incredible. My pledge brothers (I'm pledging ATO) helped me organize a huge group dinner at a local restaurant. Not only that, but some of the active brothers I was able to contact showed. The whole evening meant a lot to me. Prior to the actual date of my birthday, I had been home for family gatherings. So I had about four days of birthday meals and wishes. This will probably be one birthday I will remember.

No comments: